- Monday: 8:00 AM-6:00 PM
- Tuesday: 8:00 AM-6:00 PM
- Wednesday: 8:00 AM-6:00 PM
- Thursday: 8:00 AM-6:00 PM
- Friday: 8:00 AM-6:00 PM
- Saturday: 8:00 AM-6:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed
Fuses/Circuit Breakers – Located in your electrical panel, these safety devices stop the electrical current if the circuit becomes overloaded. If a fuse blows or the circuit trips often, it is time to call ElectraMedics to diagnose and repair the overloaded circuit.
Outlets & Switches – Make sure they are not hot, cracked or discolored. Damaged outlets and switch plates may be a sign of a hazardous condition. Exposed wiring is a shock hazard
Power Cords – Make sure they are not frayed or cracked. Power cords should not be run under carpeting or rugs, under furniture or in an area without good ventilation. Make sure cords are not attached to walls or other surfaces with staples or nails.
Extension Cords – are designed to ONLY be a temporary solution. They are not designed to be in use full time. Overloaded extension cords are a fire hazard. NEVER use a 2-pronged extension cord with a 3-pronged device. If you are using extension cords with permanent lighting or appliances, call ElectraMedics to provide you with additional circuits, new outlets or to move existing outlets.
Power strips – despite the name, power strips don’t provide additional power. They just provide more space to plug in more devices. Overloading a power strip can result in a danger condition. If you use a lot of power strips, you may need to add some additional outlets. Call ElectraMedics to install them for you.
Surge Suppressors – Not all power strips are surge suppressors. If you device is plugged directly into a surge suppressor, it is a point-of-use surge protector. If you experience a lightning strike or power surge, you should replace all point-of-use surge protectors. ElectraMedics advises the addition of whole house surge suppression through a device installed in your fuse box. Call us today for a great price!
Light Bulbs – should always be replaced with the proper type and wattage, and should be screwed in tightly. Loose bulbs could create a fire hazard. Halogen floor lamps are also a fire hazard and should be replaced!
Portable Space Heaters – demand a lot of power, and create a lot of heat. Special care should be taken they these devices are in use. Always plug the heater directly into the wall; always use the 3-pronged plug. Make sure nothing flammable is within 3 feet of the heater. Never use an extension cord. Be sure you unplug your space heater when not in use.
Small Appliances and Tools – Check cords for damage before each use. Use only UL approved devices and unplug the device after each use. In areas where you are likely to use appliances near water (kitchen, bathroom, laundry room) we advise the use of Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter GFCI receptacles to prevent shock or accidental electrocution.
Additional information can be obtained from the Electrical Safety Foundation International (Know the Dangers in Your Older Home)